Saturday, October 15, 2011

Ten Months Is Too Long...

...to wait to update my blog! Tsk tsk! I shall have to do better.

But in my defense, it's been a busy, exciting year!

Now I must admit, the year started off badly... very badly. First off, I wound up with a bad case of "tummy trouble" which turned out to be ulcers. Ouch. I was thrilled when we discovered some diet changes that allowed me to eat normally and without pain once again. The health issues slowed me down considerably during the first half of this year though.

And THEN, the week before Christmas, we had a pipe burst in the eaves and it flooded 2/3 of our three-story house. No furniture was irreparably damaged, and neither were the 10,000+ old books we have. But the ceilings, walls, and flooring (wood and carpet) nearly all had to be replaced. Till we finished dealing with insurance agents, contractors, and our own nutsoid schedules, it was June till our house was put back to normal!

Here is a picture of some of the 15 (or so) industrial strength dehumidifiers and fans we had in our house during January!



In the midst of this awful mess, however, I kept sewing!! Besides garments for customers, I managed to make myself several new gowns as well. Here is one of them. I just love this color of blue!



In April, we got to help make history. We were there on the morning of April 12, 2011 to watch the 150th commemoration of the firing on Fort Sumter, which began the Civil War. Watching the guns go off in the dusky pre-dawn was an experience I will never forget. I still get shivers thinking about it!

There were special events all throughout the week of April 12 and we attended as many of them as we could. Here is a special four-generation photo of the ladies in our family at one of the sesquicentennial events.



I continued to do research on the Civil War era, both for my sewing business and for my own enjoyment. I presented a program for the United Daughters of the Confederacy on "The Education of the Confederate Woman." That was a fascinating topic to study! Here I am at the UDC meeting - and that's my sewing business display in the background.



And of course, our family has continued to enjoy attending reenactments this year! This is me helping one of our unit members to wash up after a yummy supper at the tent.



All in all, it's been a good year so far - and some of the most fun events are yet to come! I'm looking forward to attending the Remembrance Days in Gettysburg this November. And our family is hosting our annual Christmas Ball in December. (A great excuse for a new ball dress, right? :D)

Hopefully I shall find time to update my blog more frequently in the upcoming months. Thanks, faithful readers, for not giving up on me! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment